Lithomex® Brick & Stone Surface Repair
1 Day – 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Rather than cutting out and replacing damaged or decaying brick and stone, impressive repairs can be achieved by using modern lime-based mortars. Saint-Astier® Lithomex® is a state-of-the-art brick and stone resurfacing and repair material specifically designed to restore the profile, surface finish, texture, and color of the original masonry unit. This workshop introduces participants to Lithomex® and the basic techniques to achieve convincing and durable surface repairs for vintage masonry. The lecture, demonstrations and hands-on exercises review the deterioration phenomenon, selecting repair methods and materials, and procedures to work with Lithomex®. Under the guidance of experienced masons from LimeWorks.us, students will also have the opportunity to shape Lithomex® and practice creative blending, tooling techniques, and fashioning details to simulate existing masonry. The additional knowledge and skills may enable attendees to cultivate a competitive edge in the growing restoration field. Prior masonry experience is helpful but not required.
- Begin to understand the science behind breathable natural hydraulic lime.
- Begin to recognize the properties of Lithomex® that ensure compatibility with the host masonry—breathable, porous, flexible, and harmonious thermal expansion.
- Be introduced to the proper procedures for mixing, applying, and shaping Lithomex® using a variety of standard masonry tools.
- Receive an introduction into how to produce variation in the Lithomex® surface plane to replicate the texture of the original masonry.
- Start to learn the hands-on techniques to create color shading, introduce veining and mottling, and tool through color banding to achieve convincing effects using Lithomex®.
- Review methods to simulate agglomerates and inclusions within masonry units.
The workshop will be held at the historic Millhafen Farm — the headquarters of Craftwork Training Center and LimeWorks.us — located at 3145 State Road, Telford, PA 18969. A non-refundable deposit of $100 is required two weeks in advance with the balance due at the beginning of the workshop. All the necessary materials and tools will be supplied and a light lunch is provided for your convenience. The program will start promptly at 8:00 am. Please arrive 15 minutes early to complete the check-in process and come appropriately dressed and prepared for hands-on training. To ensure an exceptional learning experience, the class size is limited. However, a minimum of 6 participants is required to hold the workshop.
Special Group Options
Companies or organizations with 10 or more participants may qualify for a training program at our location on a date that works with their company and our trainers. Call 215-536-6706 for details.
Please note, last-minute registrations (within 48 hours of the workshop date), are not valid until a confirmation email or phone call is sent from our staff.
3 reviews for ARTisAn Objective® Workshop MAS-06 Lithomex® Brick & Stone Surface Repair